Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Lids' debut is worth a little Ebay persistence

Artist: The Lids
Title: Too Late
Label: Die Slaughterhaus

Here's an older Atlanta release coming at you thanks to a little Ebay persistence.

The Lids' debut and the second Die Slaughterhaus release is what you would expect from Bobby Ubangi: simple, short masterpieces of understatement with repetitive yet effective and catchy lyrics.

The a-side features Bobby singing and playing guitar with a trio of girl backup singers and the incomparable Dave Rahn on drums. Both songs, "Fool For You" and "Too Late," are comparable to the catchy tunes on The Lids' well-received LP.

The lengthier b-side, "Something To Do," is like The Ramones meets your favorite girl group (like, say, Dolly Mixture).

If you can find this one for cheap (I paid $7 and some change plus shipping), check out The Lids' debut and the first of many quality releases recorded by Rahn.

(P.S. does anyone who has been around for a while know who is the third girl on the cover? I recognize Alix and Valery.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's Sara!! She was living in New York and is back down here right now.

smr said...

Thanks for doing a post on one of my favorite local bands. I still have the pre-release version of the 7" and still listen to it all of the time.

I'm glad someone remembered the other girl's name because it was on the tip of my tongue. For what it's worth, she is not on the cover of the LP, but Mark is. That LP still sounds great...some friends and I put it on a few weekends ago at like 4 a.m. after a long party and I fell in love with it all over again.

7inchatlanta said...

I have the LP, as well. It will warrant a review once I get this semester out of the way.

Adam said...

Sarah Harper yo

Just Derek said...

That's a great single.. The one you have shown is the second pressing and a little easier to come by.

The original first press comes in a plain paper sleeve with "Lids" stamped on it by hand. There is a photocopied insert with a bunch of photos on it. I've seen it go for $50+ on eBay. I think I paid $15 for it.