Monday, March 15, 2010

A busy and worthwhile weekend with Pierced Arrows, Ex-Humans

The pre-SXSW fun continued this weekend, as the legendary Pierced Arrows and yet another former Atlantan and current Brooklynite put on solid performances on consecutive nights.

On Saturday, I went to Lenny's for the first time since that abortion I helped book last summer after attending a relaxing front yard barbecue at Jared Swilley's Cabbagetown home.

The headliners Saturday were Pierced Arrows, featuring a couple of living legends in Fred and Toody Cole. The band is Dead Moon with a different drummer, though their best crowd pleasers are Dead Moon songs. I'm not going to pretend to know a lot about the Dead Moon/Pierced Arrows back catalogs, but I can say I left Lenny's as a believer who had just witnessed an immaculate rock and roll experience. I don't know if that was one of their better shows, as I have nothing to compare it to, but when it comes to energy and execution, Saturday made it seem like Pierced Arrows achieve King Khan levels of amazing with their live shows.

Before Pierced Arrows hit the stage, Atlanta's long-running living jukeboxes, The Forty-Fives, were also crowd pleasers. Their set included old hits that have stood the test of time and a cover of "The Kids Are Alright" by The Who.

Opening was G.G. King, who seems to get booked with all the top-tier out-of-towners (see the most recent and upcoming King Khan appearance in Atlanta and Jay Reatard's final trip to town). Seeing Greg time and time again does not get monotonous, as he is constantly writing new songs. There were so many newbies on the set list that familiar favorites like "Drug Zoo" were forsaken. I don't think they played "Witching Hour", either, but that's okay as you will all be hearing it soon on my radio show.

After spending the greater part of Sunday at David Spence's house watching weird videos (Jason Priestly as a cartoon eagle in an NRA safety video was my favorite) and writing a couple of Magnums songs, I ventured over to 529 to see Ex-Humans. I sadly missed Radio Nowhere and a touring band, but I showed up in time to hear all of my favorite Customers tunes and their cover of Roky Erickson's "White Faces". Who is it that for months has been calling them early Replacements as a Roky Erickson tribute act? That's way better than the generic stuff I usually say when describing a band, and it turns out I was more right than I realized.

The main eventers and closers of a wild weekend was ex-Carbona Josh Martin and the Ex-Humans. Their growing list of solid punk songs has me anxious for their LP, which apparently is being mixed by Dave Rahn. Their set seemed brief, but that's probably because it was a Sunday and we all had to be out of the club by midnight.

I've got a busy week and a trip to see relatives in the near future, so it was good to have that much fun in Atlanta before a necessary short break from show-going. I'll be back in time for Vivian Girls, of course.

No comments: